Thursday, May 30, 2013

summer reading

I decided to start a little summer reading with Bryce this week.  Although I taught for 7 years, I have to confess that I don't really remember how to teach kids to read.  However, when I graduated I could have, but since I taught fourth grade, my students could already read and I didn't use those skills on a daily basis.  It was my job to strengthen their accuracy, fluency, and comprehension.  So as I try to tackle some summer reading with Bryce, I may make some teachers cringe at my technique, but we'll go with it.  If it doesn't work, then I'll pull out my old books and read up!
 
 
We started with the "at" sound.  I had Bryce choose a different beginning letter each time to make a new word.  After making the word, he read the word. 

 
After reading the word, he wrote it and then read it again.

 
After making his list, I had him read me the words.

 
He did so well with "at" on the first day, we went ahead and moved to new sounds the next day.  We did go back and review the "at" sounds too.  We did the same technique with "am" words.  He made the word and read it back to me.

 
Next he wrote the "am" word and read it back to me.

 
Then he read the list to me.
 

 
We have a set of BOB books that I had purchased years ago that I decided to use.  The first book in the set practiced "at" and "am" words, thus why we started with the sounds we did.  After practicing the "at" and "am" words for two days, we gave the book a try.  Bryce did such a great job reading the book.  I had a hard time videoing and holding the book with one hand.  I really want Bryce to get in the habit of finger pointing each of the words as he reads, but we'll get there!  We'll probably practice these words/sounds for a week or two and then move on to something else.  I also have some old hooked on phonics books someone passed down to me that I might try too! 

1 comment:

Shipley Mommy said...

Way to go Bryce!

This is just one of the many fun things about getting to stay at home with them. I am not a certified teacher--but I love "playing" one at home. Keep at it and enjoy it. I did with Gracie. It crossed my mind to start this with Thomas, but then I realized we don't have enough duct tape to stick him to a chair/seat long enough for him to listen and learn with me ;)