Thursday, July 28, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

When we moved into our new house a little over a year ago, I made a list of all the renovations I would like to make someday.  Finding the time and the extra money seems to hold us back on projects.  One night a couple weeks ago after we put Bryce to bed, we were talking about what we wanted to do around here.  I mentioned wanting to renovate the downstairs bathroom.  Jason agreed that it was a good place to start.  So at 9:00 that night, he got right to work tearing out the old vanity.  After that, there was no turning back!  Here is a picture of our downstairs (half bath) BEFORE.


Here it is AFTER!  It turned out perfectly and just as I had envisioned.  All I have to say is that my husband is AH-MAZING!  My vision for the bathroom began years ago when I purchased the lime green bath mat you see on the floor.  I have had it for at least 5 years.  I didn't want to waste it at the old house so I saved it for a new house.  That brings us to this bathroom.  With the mat, I envisioned a pedestal sink and bead board.  Here it is!


The project was quite a bit of work.  The old vanity was wedged in the corner, but I wanted the new sink centered between the right wall and the toilet.  That meant Jason had to move the plumbing.  Check!  While I was shopping for the light fixture, I realized that the electricity would also have to be moved to be able to center it.  Check!  We took the easy way out with the bead board.  Instead of using the plywood sheets, we found vinyl sheets that fit together and came with matching top and bottom moulding.  I also need to thank my mom for painting!  I went with brushed nickel fixtures.  I also added a white corner cabinet on the other wall to make up for the lack of storage with the pedestal sink.  I still need to get a towel bar, but I'm hesitant to drill into my pretty walls or bead board, so I'm holding off.  I also would like to hang something on the wall to the left of the mirror and add crown moulding.  But for the most part, it is DONE and I could not be more thrilled.  Thanks Jase for the BEST present EVER!

3 comments: