Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve has always been the start of Christmas festivities in my family. As a kid, we always opened gifts on Christmas Eve and then I got Santa gifts on Christmas Day. Jason was very excited when we started dating because he had never opened gifts before Christmas!

I got up this morning and made sweet potato casserole to take to lunch. I don't know why I can never remember to take pictures of dishes I make, but oh well. I got this recipe from Jason's mom and it is just delish! My mom wanted the recipe so I figured I would share it here for everyone.

Casserole:

3 c. mashed sweet potatoes
3/4 c. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
1/2 stick margarine (melted or softened)
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix and pour into a shallow greased dish

Topping:

1/3 stick margarine (melted)
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
3/4 c. chopped pecans
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Blend all topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of casserole.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

We went to my parents' house for lunch this year instead of dinner since Bryce goes to bed before 8 and we normally didn't eat until after the Christmas Eve service. Here is Bryce before lunch. My mom just couldn't wait a second longer to give him a gift so he got this one before lunch.

It's a rocking reindeer that sings "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"

Testing it out

Bryce enjoyed tasting the yummy food. Cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes were his favorites. I always look forward to Christmas dinner with my parents because it's all of my favorite Thanksgiving food. We never have Thanksgiving together so I have to wait until Christmas to get all of my favorites. It's a good thing Bryce only has one first Christmas because I think he ruined the bib!

After lunch we opened presents and more presents! I just thought Bryce's face was too cute in this picture as he peered into the bag.

Mama Pat (a.k.a. Miss Mickey) gave Bryce this Mickey mobile that you can ride on or push like a walker. He really enjoyed riding on it, but he also liked watching the propeller spin and light up!

Here he was later tonight using it as a walker.

Bryce got tired mid presents and laid down for a second. I didn't get the camera fast enough to get a picture from the front. He had the biggest grin on his face.

He got a toy train with blocks

Can you believe all the fun stuff he got? He got some fun snacks in his stocking and lots of learning toys like books, puzzles, and a block stacking train. Bryce is one lucky little boy. His Nana and Pappy had fun shopping. And Mama Pat, too.

Macy also loves Christmas. She is actually better at opening presents than Bryce. Here is one of her toys she started opening.

She really doesn't care who the present is for, she still wants to help!

Serious business!

My parents got me a new trashcan for the kitchen that I really wanted. Bryce enjoyed the box that it came in.

The box is always the best part.

Jason and his dad were the narrators at the Christmas Eve service this year. Bryce and I joined Jason on stage at one point and I read some verses. Bryce stole the show when he grabbed the microphone from me. He helped ease my nerves because I knew no one was paying attention to me at that point! (Sorry, no pictures of the event).
"The stockings were hung by the chimney with care...."
Jason and I used to have matching stockings. Since we didn't buy extras, we needed to solve our stocking dilemma. I decided this year that we should each get a stocking that matched our personality. I got Bryce's stocking from Pottery Barn Kids. I wanted something simple so he wouldn't grow out of the pattern or design as he got older. Could there be a more perfect stocking for Jason than camo? I found my stocking online at http://www.personalizationmall.com/ and I just love it! It has been a full day so I am off to bed......"in hopes that St. Nicholas will soon be here".


No comments: