Friday, June 10, 2016

rest in peace

Monday brought the most devastating news of my life.  I was at Walmart doing my weekly grocery shopping when my mom called at 8:15 to tell me she had called the rescue squad for my dad.  I grabbed Emmy out of the cart and left my groceries in the middle of the store and raced to their house.  I got Emmy squared away with a friend while the paramedics did all they could and transferred him to the hospital.  It wasn't long after we arrived that that told us they weren't able to save him.    


This past week has been a struggle of emotions as well as wondering about the unknown.  We are  trying to wrap our brains around this and we're leaning on each other and our faith as we navigate these horrible unfamiliar waters.  We held a small memorial at my house on Thursday and it was everything my mom had imagined.  


At the end of the night, I had the kids write a message on a balloon to send off for Pap.  They really enjoyed this and it was a great way to include them in remembrance of their grandfather.  


My mom and I have been so touched by the outpouring of love and support from her neighbors, our friends and our family.  


We thank you all for loving us through this.  It is the hardest obstacle we've had to face as a family and it will definitely take a while to heal.  We are thankful for the many memories we have of Pap and we will surely keep him in the forefront of our minds.  

No comments: